A lot of potential patients don’t realize what goes into orthodontic treatment—and how closely we work with them to ensure perfect results. Today, our team at Ollins Orthodontics will answer this common question: How do orthodontists create a custom treatment plan for each patient?
What Does An Orthodontist Do?
Orthodontists are actually dental specialists. Typically, your general dentist will be the one to refer you to us. As orthodontists, we’re experts in treating issues that usually revolve around tooth or jaw alignment. Here are a few reasons you might receive a referral:
- Spacing Issues
- Impacted Teeth
- Crooked Teeth
Three Treatment Options
There are three types of aligning treatments in most practices. Once Dr. Gabriel or Dr. Bruce has decided which of these is the right fit for you, they will proceed with a treatment plan.
- Metal braces are a dependable option for children, teens, and adults alike. They are the most durable option of the three due to the materials they consist of.
- Clear braces, also known as ceramic braces, are as effective as their metal counterparts but tend to be popular in adult patients seeking a less obvious alignment treatment.
- We are thrilled to provide Invisalign, which is by far the most natural choice. These custom-made aligners hug your teeth to the point of being hard to see when they’re worn. If your condition constitutes this option, we’ll discuss it further with you in the office.
What Does a Treatment Plan Look Like?
Every single patient is different and, therefore, will have a subtly different experience. But the way we go about diagnosing, planning, and treating still has many commonalities that can give you a great idea of what to expect from us.
- Initial Assessment: Our focus during this phase centers on examining your teeth, jaws, and facial structure, involving the capture of photos and X-rays to gather comprehensive data.
- Diagnosis: In this step, we meticulously analyze the collected information to pinpoint specific dental issues that need correction, such as misalignments or overcrowding.
- Treatment Options/Planning: Following the diagnosis, we develop a detailed plan of action, engaging in in-depth discussions with you about various treatment options. We take the time to answer your questions, delve into the pros and cons of different choices, and explore specialized treatments for more severe issues.
- Final Discussions: Our experienced doctors present a comprehensive plan outlining the necessary procedures, a general timeline for treatment, and potential challenges that may arise.
- Financial Planning: At Ollins Orthodontics, we are dedicated to ensuring that treatment is as accessible as possible. We proactively discuss payment plans, taking into consideration factors like insurance coverage and overall cost.
- Initiation of Treatment: The initial phase of your treatment is determined based on our discussions and may involve the commencement of clear aligners or the application of braces.
- Monitoring and Adjustments: Regular visits to our office are a crucial aspect of your treatment. We closely monitor progress, make necessary adjustments to appliances, and address any repairs that may be required. While orthodontic emergencies are rare, rest assured that we are here to assist you if they occur.
- Completion and Retention: As you complete the active phase of your treatment, we transition to the stage where retainers are worn to preserve and maintain your results.
- Follow-Up Care: We schedule periodic follow-up appointments to ensure the stability of your new smile and to proactively prevent any potential relapse. Your ongoing oral health and satisfaction with the results are our priorities.
There are a lot of variables to consider, of course, but here are a few additional factors we keep in mind when planning:
- Patient Preferences: The choice of orthodontic appliances may not always offer a wide range of options. Some conditions may require traditional braces, even if a patient expresses a preference for a more discreet option like Invisalign. However, compromises can be explored, and alternatives such as ceramic braces might serve as a middle ground.
- Age of Patient: Orthodontic treatment is suitable for individuals of all ages, but the approach differs significantly across children, teenagers, and adults. When working with children, psychological considerations play a crucial role in ensuring their comfort. We also collaborate closely with parents or guardians to oversee and support the child’s orthodontic experience.
- Effective Communication: Many individuals may not initially recognize the significance of effective communication in this process. Consider a scenario where you receive your initial set of Invisalign trays, and then you’re left to navigate the process on your own. We don’t recommend it! Our commitment is to provide consistent guidance throughout your journey with these new tools, ensuring support at every step.
Ready to Get Started?
Now that you know about how we use custom treatment plans in our practice, we hope you can be confident in us as your orthodontic partners. Our office is a proud staple of the Nutley community, and the Ollins Orthodontics team cannot wait to work with you. Contact us now to schedule your free consultation.